A Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection basically secures your network connection whenever you access the internet. For instance, all your business files will be stored on a server in your office. This server will be protected by a firewall, which simply means that it will not be accessible over the internet, otherwise known as public facing. However, using a VPN connection will be a far more secure option to protect your valuable business files rather than just using a firewall, which can be a potential security risk. As more and more workers, in recent years, are starting to work from home or are travelling to different parts of the world on business, it has become important for business owners to find a secure way to allow those employees to access necessary business resources while also maintaining an extremely high level of security. A VPN acts as a solution to such needs, and is a secure method of using the internet to connect to a private network.
How to Setup a VPN on Mac?
In order to connect to a VPN on your Mac, the configuration settings must first be entered into Network preferences. The configuration settings are inclusive of the VPN account name, sever address, and authentication settings, if any, such as a certificate or password that were given to you by the network administrator. If you received a settings file from the provider, you can simply double click the file in order to import settings automatically from Network preferences. If not, you can select Apple → System Preferences, select Network, and then select Import Configurations from the Action menu that pops up. Now, choose the file and click on Import. Follow the given steps in order to setup a VPN on Mac:
- Select Apple → System preferences and click on the Network tab.
- At the bottom of the list of network connection services, click on Add (+) and then select VPN from the Interface menu that pops up.
- From the VPN Type menu that pops up, select the type of VPN connection you wish to setup, based on the type of network you will be connecting to, and then enter a name to the VPN service.
- Now, it is time for you to enter the account name and server address for the VPN.
- Now enter the user authentication details you received from the network administrator, by clicking Authentication Settings.
- Once you enter all the user authentication information, click OK and then Connect.
In order to connect to the network and to switch between different VPN servers that are located in different countries, you should utilize the VPN status icon by choosing Show VPN status from the menu bar.
Best VPN Services for Mac
Following are some of the best VPN service providers that you can use on your MacBook:
|Rank||Provider Name||Starting Price||Money Back Guarantee||Visit Provider Site|
|4||StrongVPN||$21/ 3 months||7 Days|